Frank Lloyd Wright is perhaps the most (in)famous architect and designer in America, and Grand Rapids is fortunate to be home to one of his first major commissions in Michigan, the Meyer May House. Steelcase meticulously restored this home in the 80's and welcomes us inside for a rare glimpse of an original Prairie home as Wright designed it. The tour begins with an excellent short film on the restoration. One HSW learning unit available for architects.
Attendees should expect to learn about:
- the history of the Meyer family and their relationship with Frank Lloyd Wright
- design challenges and successes
- the process of restoring to the original design and era
- natural ventilation systems
- impact of natural lighting and how that is designed into the architecture
Meet at the main entrance.
Parking is available on Logan Street and on Madison Avenue.
Attendance is free.