Join AIGA West Michigan, West Michigan Design Week, Kendall College of Art and Design, and Herman Miller as we spotlight the importance of diversity and move to value an inclusive culture on local design and tech teams.
Diversity and Inclusion hashtags are commonly trending, the conversations and dialogue are increasing in technology and design circles. The dynamics of collaboration are crucial for the success, sustainability, and growth of any design team. How does diversity of thought—shaped by gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, ability status, socioeconomic status, age, physical appearance, religion, political affiliation, and more—impact change and growth? What are inclusive practices to highlight, hire, and retain designers from underrepresented groups? What are the next steps to see variety in a homogenous workplace? Can we increase mentorships, apprenticeships and community engagement? Who is part of the solution? Who will become a design leader for diversity and inclusion in West Michigan?
Attendance is free.
Discussion begins at 11:40.
Please arrive by 11:30 to pick up your lunch and find a seat.
Moderated by Carlos Estrada
Information Design Consultant for Herman Miller and D+I Director for AIGAWM
- Dr. Vicki Harris, Global Vice President of Human Resources at Our Daily Bread
- Jonathan Jelks, Brand Strategist at JA Jelks Consulting, Community Activist and Co-Founder of the Midwest Project
- Lucia Rios, Community Access Specialist, Copywriter and Social Media/Web Manager at BandA Tech Solutions
- Kimberly Wolting, Software Consultant, Designer at Atomic Object and Co-founder of Ladies That UX in GR
- Kevin White, UX design Specialist and Illustrator
Join the discussion on Twitter @aigawestmi @WMDesignWeek
Hashtag #DiversityDNA #AIGAtogether #wmdesignweek
Learn more about AIGA West Michigan's Diversity + Inclusion initiative.
Thanks to Herman Miller for sponsoring this event.
Thanks also go to Kendall College of Art and Design of Ferris State University (KCAD) for hosting this event.